We would first like to thank the John S. Latsis Public Benefit Foundation for the financial support of this research project and the administrative staff of the foundation for the steady help and support throughout our collaboration. This project would not have reached its current form without the precious contribution of a number of colleagues and friends, to whom we are indebted: Georgios Agelopoulos, Dimitris Charlaftis, Loukis Chasiotis, Vilma Hastaoglou, Alexandra Karadimou-Gerolympou, Pelagia Astrinidou-Kotsaki, Evangelos Kyriakidis, Sapfo Notara, Yannis Papadopoulos, Paris Papamichos-Chronakis, Alexandros Efkleidis, Stelios Kymionis, Luisa Passerini, Katerina Pavlopoulou, Risto Pekka Pennanen, Nadia C. Seremetakis, Panos Theodoridis, Aspasia Theodosiou, Chris Williams and Theotokis Zervos. We are particularly grateful to Panayotis Panopoulos for triggering our interest in the study of sound through his work and through a number of long and thought-provoking conversations.
A number of researchers and members of staff offered valuable guidance and mediation at the various archives where we conducted our research. Special thanks to Eleni Ioannidou, Maria Kazantzidou and Eirini Tellidou (Historical Archive of Refugee Hellenism – Municipality of Kalamaria); Sofia Akrivopoulou, S. Tzevreni, and Despina Makropoulou (Archive of 9th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities of Thessaloniki); Vasiliki Misailidou and D. Aktseli (Archive of 16th Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities); P. Skoudouroglou, Κ. Tsiboukas and D. Voutsa (Archive of Property Office, Thessaloniki Prefecture, Ministry of Finance); Elpida Daniil (Archive of National Map Library, National Center for Maps and Cartographic Heritage – National Map Library); Despina Ignatiadou (Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki); and Dimitris Kamouzis and Varvara Kontoyanni (Centre for Asia Minor Studies); VisualEyes (University of Virginia). We would also like to thank Agra Publications and Makedoniki Publishing, for generously granting permission to use copyrighted material at their possession. Lastly, we are grateful to Zoi Glaveta, Elsa Karoulidou, Fotis Lazidis, Veta Stathaki, and the rest of the administrative staff of the Research Committee of the University of Macedonia, who efficiently assisted us in the administrative aspect of our research. Special thanks to Afroditi Papasimakopoulou for creatively solving bureaucratic problems.
We finally wish to thank our friends and family for their continuous support. Our gratitude goes especially to George Argyriou, Nikos Hatzipetros and Reguina Hatzipetrou-Andronikou, Michalis Kallimopoulos, Evi Kaplani, Penny Korneti, Stratis Lagoumidis, Myrto Malouta, Elena Marsidou, Irene Noel-Baker, Katerina Pavlopoulou, Andreas Siadimas and Efi Theodorakopoulou.
Archives, Libraries and Research Centers consulted
– Archive of 9th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities of Thessaloniki
– Archive of 16th Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities
– Archive of Property Office, Thessaloniki Prefecture (Ministry of Finance)
– Archive of National Map Library (National Center for Maps and Cartographic Heritage – National Map Library)
– Centre for Architecture of the Municipality of Thessaloniki
– Historical Archive of Refugee Hellenism – Municipality of Kalamaria
– Archive of Makedoniki Publishing
– Centre for Asia Minor Studies
– The Hellenic Literary and Historical Archive
– Digital Library of the Hellenic Parliament
– National Library of Greece – Digital Library of Newspapers and the Press
– Greek National Radio Television (ERT) Archives
– The British Pathé Archives
– Private archive of George Kordomenidis
– Archive of A. Karamitsos International Philatelic Auctions